That’s right friends, the hubbub surrounding the All-Star Game has finally subsided. I know…too bad. BUT, the next big event on the NHL calendar encased in hullabaloo is the trade deadline. And this one actually matters!
I don’t know if you’ve heard but unlike any other year previous, this deadline has been preceded by rumors, rumors, rumors. There seems to be no end in sight to the weird/impossible rumors people will put on the internet. The Bruins? Sending Stanley-Cup-winnin’, Conn-Smythe-havin’, 2-time-Vezina-trophy-gettin’, All-Star-goaltender Tim Thomas to Chicago? For Viktor Stalberg? Ah-ha, ha-ha-ha-ahh…HA! Whew! that’s a good one. Corey Perry to Vancouver?! You, gotta be kidding me.
Well you know what? Rumors Shumumors! Who cares about guessing which guy is going where for what draft picks? Instead, there should be in-depth analysis on what the non-all-stars did on their long weekend. Pekka Rinne and Jordin Tootoo went fishing, now that’s interesting. No booze on this cruise, eh Jordin?
What we can do though, is look back at the trade deadlines of yore and discuss which trades were legit, and which ones were shit.
February 28th, 2011
- Vancouver Canucks get F Maxim Lapierre and F MacGregor Sharp from the Anaheim Ducks for F Joel Perraultand a 2012 third-round draft pick.
- Vancouver Canucks get F Christopher Higgins from the Florida Panthers for D Evan Oberg and a 2011 third-round draft pick.
Now, these weren’t blockbuster deals, but they definitely worked out for the Canucks who went 7 games into the Stanley Cup Final.
- The Los Angeles Kings acquire F Dustin Penner from the Edmonton Oilers for D Colten Teubert, a 2011 first-round draft pick and a conditional 2012 third-round draft pick.
Yikes! Although Penner seems like a cool guy and possibly a locker room personality, he was acquired to score goals. The former 30 goal-scorer has just 5 since coming to La-La-Land.
March 3rd, 2010
- Ducks get D Lubomir Visnovsky from the Oilers for D Ryan Whitney and a 6th round pick in 2010.
Although this has turned out to be a better trade for the Ducks, Ryan Whitney and Ladislav Smid are the only D-men currently playing for the Oilers.
- Flames get G Vesa Toskala from the Ducks for G Curtis McElhinney.
Nobody wins that log.
February 26th, 2008
- Penguins get F Marian Hossa and F Pascal Dupuis from the Thrashers for F Colby Armstrong, F Erik Christensen, F Angelo Esposito, and a first rounder in that year’s draft.
The Penguins got to the finals in ’08 with the help of these two. They still have Dupuis who has become a fan favorite.
- Stars get F Brad Richards and F Johan Holmqvist from the Lightning for G Mike Smith, F Jussi Jokinen, F Jeff Halpern, and Fourth-round pick in 2009.
The Stars made the playoffs that year and Richards had 15 points in 18 playoff games. The next three seasons they failed to make the playoffs despite Richards matching his career high 91 points for them in 09-10. For the Lightning…who cares.
March 13th, 2001
- Colorado Avalanche get D Rob Blake and F Steve Reinprecht from the Kings for F Adam Deadmarsh, D Aaron Miller, first-round draft pick (David Steckel) and a conditional pick.
- Blues get F Cory Stillman from the Flames for Craig Conroy and a 7th round pick in 2001
As I said earlier, you can rumor me up, down, and all around, but it doesn’t matter. None of us know and can say for certain what will happen. I just hope that the GM’s of the league can trade enough dudes to make it interesting while not getting rid of dudes who 1. belong with their team (mostly because I would throw up in my mouth if they went anywhere else (Shane Doan)) and 2. deserve to be on a good team.